Nürburgring Self Drive
You've read about it, you've played the games and you've watched the videos - now you want to do it for yourself! Below is some info about how you can drive the Nürburgring, and some suggestions on the best way to experience it.
What ways can I drive the Nürburgring for myself?
There are essentially three different ways you can drive on the Nürburgring. On Public Sessions (In German: Touristenfahrten), on a closed track event, known as a Trackday or in a sanctioned race event.
Public Sessions - Touristenfahrten
This is the way that most people drive the circuit. This is where the track is open to the public almost every day of the season. Track entry is paid by the lap, via a lap ticket, which you can either purchase yourself, or have one provided to you in our "All inclusive package".
Choose this if:
- You want to do "only a few laps" or multiple laps.
- You're time schedule is limited, and you can only be here on a certain day but still want to drive the circuit.
- You don't mind sharing the circuit with other cars, potential first timers and motorcycles (!)
- You're not sure exactly what you want, then this is probably what you want to do!
If you're serious about driving the circuit, then this is what you want to do. Trackdays are Entry-Only events (Don't worry, we can organise entry for you!) and you can drive either with your own car, or with one of our hired cars. These are held on specific dates during the year, with a full list of trackdays available on our trackday calendar.
Choose this if:
- You want to get the best experience possible from driving on the Nürburgring
- You want to do multiple laps
- You the possibility to have full instruction while on circuit from an experience RSRNurburg Driving Instructor
- You're flexible with dates, or you can tailor your holiday around a specific date
- You want less cars on track to worry about and no motorcycles!
Public Touristenfahrten Sessions Vs. Trackdays
|Public Driving Sessions (Touristenfahrten)||Trackdays|
|• Unlimited number of people on track at the same time (up to 10,000 on busy days!)||• Limited to people that have pre-entered (Usually around 120, with 60 on track at once)|
|• You pay per lap (Up to €30)||• You pay one entry fee, and do as many laps as you want|
|• People just turn up and drive, not everyone knows the rules||• Drivers have strict safety briefings, everyone must wear safety helmets|
|• Anyone can drive (16 year olds, uncle bob, inexperienced drivers)||• Like minded drivers|
|• Any road legal car can go on (Vans, busses, station wagons)||• People use more track focused cars.|
|• Motorbikes allowed on track at the same time||• Cars only|
|• Closures happen often, and can take hours to clean up||• Closures still happen, but rarely. Clean up happens quickly and efficiently.|
|• You can only do one lap, then you have to stop for the barriers / come off the track.||• You can keep lapping|
|• You can't use the whole Döttinger Höhe Straight||• Full use of the 2.8km long straight!|
|• For a more casual experience (Good for just trying a few laps)||• Getting to know the circuit properly|
|• Car recovery costs per km (Crashes, breakdowns)||• Car recovery is usually included in the entry price|
|• Overtaking officialy only on the left side (In reality: a free-for-all mess)||• Overtaking rules clearly defined, and much more gentlemanly.|
|Click for more info about Public Touristenfahrten Sessions||Click for more information about trackdays|
Racing the Nürburgring
Not to be confused with just driving spiritedly on the track, "Racing the Nürburgring" is entering a sanctioned race event on the Nürburgring Circuit. In most cases this required previous experience in either racing, or driving on the circuit itself - it's not really for first timers! To enter you'll generally require a race licence, and for some classes you'll need to attend special training sessions and obtain certain racing permits.
Choose this if:
- You have a racing licence, or are interested in getting one
- You've raced before and want to race on the Nürburgring
- You've driven here a few times already and want to step it up a notch
- You have a budget to spend in the world of motorsport (Lucky you!)