Drive the Nürburgring - Public Sessions
What are Public Sessions (Touristenfahrten)?
Touristenfahrten, or "Public driving", at the Nürburgring is a tradition that dates back to the very birth of the circuit in 1927. It's arguably the single most amazing thing about the 'ring and a major reason for it's global popularity. Most people who drive the Nurburgring do so in a Touristenfahrten (Public Driving) session. These sessions are available on both the Nurburgring Nordschleife and Nurburgring GP Track. Anybody and everybody can be seen lapping the circuit on a Sunday, from motorcycles to camper vans. It's easy to become addicted to the thrill of the 'Green Hell'!
If it's your first time to the Nurburgring, make sure to read our guide here!
If you are interested in renting one of our cars for use on a Public Session, take a look in our car garage by clicking here.
Public Sessions At a glance:
- When most people drive the Nurburgring, they do so on these sessions!
- Public road rules apply; speed limits in sections, overtake only on left, road-legal vehicles only
- Open in the evenings during the week, full days on weekends (Can change depending on events, so check for times!)
- You share the track with all sorts of public traffic, including motorcycles, vans and even large buses
- Full Time Driver Instruction and taxi laps are not allowed on these sessions
- If you want to do lots of laps, or really improve your track knowledge then we would suggest looking at entering a track day - more about track days on this page!
Choose this if:
- You want to do from "only a few laps" to multiple laps.
- You're time schedule is limited, and you can only be here on a certain day but still want to drive the circuit.
- You don't mind sharing the circuit with other cars, potential first timers and motorcycles (!)
- You're not sure exactly what you want, then this is probably what you want to do!
These Touristenfahten Public Driving Sessions are available on both the Nürburgring Nordschleife and the Grand Prix (F1) Circuit.
The Nürburgring Nordschleife
- This is the track that most people think of when they talk about the Nürburgring
- 21km long (13 miles)
- Normally open from 5pm - 7pm on weekdays, and 8am - 7pm on weekends (See opening times below)
- This is the track people know frome the games (Gran Turismo, Forza, Asseto Corsa)
The Nürburgring Grand Prix Track
- This is the shorter, modern Formula One Circuit
- 5km long (3 miles), depending on the configuration used.
- Open less frequently - normally between 6pm and 8pm on weekdays. (See opening times below)
- 01.11.2019 - 9:00 - 17:00
- 02.11.2019 - 9:00 - 17:00 (VLN Config)
- 03.11.2019 - 9:00 - 17:00 (VLN Config)
- 09.11.2019 - 14:30 - 16:30
- 10.11.2019 - 9:00 - 16:30
- 16.11.2019 - 9:00 - 16:30
- 17.11.2019 - 9:00 - 16:30
- 23.11.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 24.11.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 30.11.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 01.12.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 07.12.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 08.12.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 14.12.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- 15.12.2019 - 9:00 - 16:00
- Please note: Opening times are subject to change without notice.
Whats the difference between Public Sessions and a Trackday?
|Public Driving Sessions (Touristenfahrten)||Trackdays|
|• Unlimited number of people on track at the same time (up to 10,000 on busy days!)||• Limited to people that have pre-entered (Usually around 120, with 60 on track at once)|
|• You pay per lap (Up to €30)||• You pay one entry fee, and do as many laps as you want|
|• People just turn up and drive, not everyone knows the rules||• Drivers have strict safety briefings, everyone must wear safety helmets|
|• Anyone can drive (16 year olds, uncle bob, inexperienced drivers)||• Like minded drivers|
|• Any road legal car can go on (Vans, busses, station wagons)||• People use more track focused cars.|
|• Motorbikes allowed on track at the same time||• Cars only|
|• Closures happen often, and can take hours to clean up||• Closures still happen, but rarely. Clean up happens quickly and efficiently.|
|• You can only do one lap, then you have to stop for the barriers / come off the track.||• You can keep lapping|
|• You can't use the whole Döttinger Höhe Straight||• Full use of the 2.8km long straight!|
|• For a more casual experience (Good for just trying a few laps)||• Getting to know the circuit properly|
|• Car recovery costs per km (Crashes, breakdowns)||• Car recovery is usually included in the entry price|
|• Overtaking officialy only on the left side (In reality: a free-for-all mess)||• Overtaking rules clearly defined, and much more gentlemanly.|
|Click for more info about Public Touristenfahrten Sessions||Click for more information about trackdays|
Booking and More Information
If you've chosen a date already and know what you'd like, then fill in one of the below booking forms and email it back to us.
- Touristenfahrten Car Hire - Nürburgring NORDSCHLEIFE Booking Form
Complete this form only after speaking to us. Use this form to hire one of our cars on a Touristenfahrten (Public Session) on the NORDSCHLEIFE Circuit (Long Circuit).
- Touristenfahrten Car Hire - Nürburgring GP TRACK Booking Form
Complete this form only after speaking to us. Use this form to hire one of our cars on a Touristenfahrten (Public Session) on the GP TRACK Circuit (Short F1 Circuit).